Dave Skalka is a member of Croker Huck and has been practicing for over nineteen years in the areas of commercial litigation, creditors' rights, real estate, and business law. His wide-ranging creditors' rights practice includes representation in both Chapter 7 liquidation and complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganizations and representation in loan restructuring, representing creditors ranging in size from large national banks to individuals. His real estate and business practice includes real estate transactional and litigation representation, contract negotiations, commercial and agricultural lease negotiation, business entity choice, formation, and structure including Nebraska cooperative corporations, eminent domain/condemnation representation, and wage payment and noncompete issues.
Dave has successfully prosecuted, defended, and assisted in the settlement of a variety of cases including multi-million dollar commercial claims, fraudulent transfer claims, probate estate disputes, real estate disputes, and shareholder disputes, and has successfully prosecuted and defended numerous appeals in the state and federal appellate courts. He has successfully represented sanitary and improvement districts in contested formations and related litigation. His jury trial experience includes obtaining a verdict for a condemnee landowner that was over three times the amount offered by the condemning political subdivision. His clients include banks, credit unions, commercial and agricultural landowners, commercial landlords and tenants, small and medium-sized businesses and business owners, and condominium and homeowners associations. Dave entered law school in 1995 after having been a news director for several Nebraska and South Dakota radio stations over a period of four years. He began his legal career as a judicial law clerk to the Nebraska Supreme Court.
Areas Of Practice
- Creditors' Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate/Business Law
- Real Estate/Landlord and Tenant
- Appellate Practice
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- J.D. - 1998
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Wayne State College
- B.A. with honors in Broadcast Communications, minors in Political Science and Journalism - 05/1991
- In re Tri-State Financial, LLC (Allison et al. v. Centris Federal Credit Union), 885 F.3d 528 , 2018, 8th Circuit
- In Re Estate of Lorenz, 292 Neb. 543 , 2016
- Myers, Trustee v. Cronk et al. (In re M & M Marketing, L.L.C.), Case A11-8096, 2014 WL 32137 , 2014
- State ex rel. Lanman v. Dawson County and Sanitary and Improvement District No. 1 of Gosper County, 277 Neb. 492, 763 N.W.2d 392, 2009
- Tymar, LLC v. Two Men and a Truck et al. and Nebraska Public Service Commission, 282 Neb. 692, 805 N.W.2d 648 , 2011
- Rohwer v. City of Blair, Case No. A-07-1356, 2009, Neb. App.
- Auto Services Co., Inc. v. KPMG, LLP, 537 F.3d 853, 2008, 8th Cir.
- Mitchell v. Team Financial, Inc., 16 Neb. App. 14, 740 N.W.2d 368, 2007
- In re Sanitary and Improvement District No. 1 of Gosper County, 270 Neb. 856, 708 N.W.2d 809, 2006
- Adesta Communications, Inc. v. Utica Mut. Ins. Co., No. 08-CV-01817-RPM, 2010 WL 1240354 D. Colo., 2010
- MPP, L.L.C. v. Brook Park Investment Co., 2003 WL 22232060, Case No. A-02-139, 2003, Neb. App.
- Thille & Son Const., Inc. v. Thille, 2005 WL 2129167, Case No. A-04-034, 2005, Neb. App.
- Moglia v. McNeil Co., Inc., 270 Neb. 241, 700 N.W.2d 608, 2005
- Blankenau v. Landess, 261 Neb. 906, 626 N.W.2d 588, 2001
Honors and Awards
- Creighton Law Review Staff Editor and Writer 1996-98; published, 30 Creighton L. Rev. 171 (1996)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Member in the Sections on Bankruptcy Law, Business Law and Banking
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys (NATA)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Past Employment Positions
- Nebraska Supreme Court, Law Clerk to the Honorable William Connolly, 1998 to 1999